Sunday, August 30, 2009

Back to School

Well, the first week of school was uneventful...which, in my book, is a good thing. We did have a special back to school dinner (thank you, Nie Nie, for the inspiration!) but the boys didn't know quite what to do with all of the forks! We invited two other boys who we have become like our third and fourth sons, Joey & Cody, to join us in the festivities. We served the meal in courses in an attempt to slow down the devouring of food by three teenage boys.

Beverage: Sparkling peach & catawba juices
First course: Grapes & Gouda cheeese
Second course: Caesar salad and cibatta bread
Third Course: Cherie's (Chris' mom) famous pepper steak & brown rice
Fourth course: Warm chocolate cake with carmel & Ghiradelli chocoloate chips drizzled on top

Our selected theme for the school year comes from the book of Alma in the Book of Mormon...

"And now as I said concerning faith—faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true. " Alma 32:21

Our goal is to have more faith this year...more faith in our Heavenly Father and in His will for us. More faith in our Savior Jesus Christ and in his atoning sacrifice. More faith in the power of family. Faith is the foundation of our happiness...for without it, we would be hopeless. It is a wonderful feeling to know our purpose and potential in this mortal life. With that knowledge comes the responsibility to live up to our full divine potential. With faith, we can accomplish all things the Lord would have us do. This brings to mind the words of a hymn:

More holiness give me, More strivings within;
More patience in suffering, More sorrow for sin;
More faith in my savior, More sense of his care;
More joy in his service, More purpose in prayer.

Christopher looking stylish on his first day as a Junior.


Chandler wishing that I would stop taking pictures of him and let him go to class.


The gang at our fancy schmancy back to school dinner.

We wish you all a school year filled with special memories (and good grades!)

4 comments:

Court said...

Wish I could have been there! Back to school dinner sounds delicious and I love your chosen yearly theme. With faith, nothing is impossible.

P.S. Your home looks beautiful!

Sophia Vandiford said...

Thanks Court! Love ya...

Court said...

I'm gonna need another update, pronto. I'm sure loads of hilarity have occurred since you last posted!!!

Court said...

Hellooo!!! I'm anxiously awaiting your next post. Your adoring public wants to know!!