Friday, October 24, 2008

Nothing like 5th grade camp...


This week, Chandler spent 4 days at a YMCA camp with the 5th-8th graders from his school. A couple of weeks ago I found myself volunteering to chaperone one night at camp. Whatever it was that possessed me to do such a thing I'll never know but I hate to pass up an opportunity to spend some bonding time with my boys. Well, since I'm a Mom I had to sleep in the female cabin with 8 lovely and very well behaved girls. I was able to eat meals and attend the bonfire with Chandler...so it all worked out. The only problem...I didn't sleep a wink. The cabin heater (and thank goodness there was a heater!) sounded like a jet engine revving up all night. The fact that I was not sleeping on my dual-sided pillow top mattress also might have had something to do with it. On Thursday, at breakfast there was a competition between the two schools at the camp to see who could have the least amount of "piggy waste." Meaning, who would throw away the least amount of food leftover from their plates. Well, Chandler's eyes were bigger than his stomach and he left a whole bagel and eggs on his plate. Being the competitive creature that I am, I could not allow that food to be counted as piggy waste...so this mom took one for the team and finished off the stale bagel and cold eggs, although I was quite full from my own camp-deli-icious meal. The result...not one crumb of piggy waste for our entire school! The icing on the cake...our cabin received a perfect 10 for cleanliness! Chandler's cabin, unfortunately, scored poorly because some jokesters decided to leave a little gift in the toilets on the last day...boys!

1 comment:

The Weilers said...

You are a BRAVE mom! Sabrina says I'm not allowed to volunteer to go to her camp....girls!